Sunday, April 26, 2009

Shhhh... It's Twiathlon Season... I'm Hunting PRs...

Wow. That's is a twisty title isn't it? It's like Elmer Fudd meets Runner's World and I think it's only funny to me. I would say I'm hunting "twiathletes" but after my performance at Saturday's Champion's super Sprint, I have some serious work to do before I'm any sort of threat. It doesn't make things any easier knowing that woman in my age group are super competitive- and will be this way for the next ten years.

What didn't go right:
  • Didn't eat as well as I should have the 4-5 days leading up to the race. Next time: less processed food and more chicken and brown rice.
  • Poor sleep the night before: not sure if this was just nerves or what. I ended up getting out of bed a 2am and cranking the AC down to 68 to try to make it more comfortable. Next time: work on sleep patterns so 4:50 doesn't feel so damn early.
  • Swim- I never got into my long smooth stride. Next time: I'll take the time to warm up.
  • Bike - no hill power. Next time: time for hill repeat training sessions and time to get reacquainted with Southwest Parkway
  • Run- I had plenty in the tank for really run it out in the end. Next time- push it, even if its a short distance. Also, more bike-to-run bricks
What rocked:
  • I scored a great transition spot near Bike In/Out
  • I was properly hydrated and fueled for the race
  • Despite not finding my stroke for the swim, I met my goal of about 8 minutes for 300ish meters
  • Hearing my friends yell my name on the bike course
  • Hearing strangers and fellow competiors give me encouragement on the run
  • I finished strong- with a little too much left in the tank, but I have a better idea of what I'm capable of.
  • A Fireman's 4 in one hand and a vanilla frosty cone in the other
My race was a super sprint: 300m swim, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. I finished about 15 minutes past my overall goal- so I'm considering this a reality check. Today I volunteered for the Olympic distance tri and watched both the amateurs and the pros/elites including two of my coaches: Amy Marsh and Brandon Marsh. Watching the elites was truly inspiring- fluid, powerful, strong. It makes me want to work harder. So what does tomorrow's run have in store? Hills? Sweet. Bring it.

No comments: